Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Still going strong...

I meant to update last week and didn't get a chance. I'm not even sure if anyone is reading, but if so, sorry to keep you waiting ;) This is probably the busiest time of year for us.

Tomorrow will make two weeks that we've been using cloth diapers! My only regret is that we didn't start sooner.  So far, everything is going really well!  We now have enough diapers to not only make it through an entire day (or two), but I also only have to do the diaper laundry every 2-3 days now.  And Annabelle hasn't worn a disposable diaper in 6 days :)

Here is most of our stash :)


Our stash now consists of 11 regular Alvas, 1 AnAn, 1 Big kid Alva, 1 double gusset Alva, 1 Alva bamboo cover (super cute but doesn't work well!), 1 Thirsties cover, 1 Blueberry cover, 1 Bummis cover, 14 microfiber inserts, 10 bamboo inserts, 3 gerber prefolds that I sometimes use to double stuff at night, and 11 old flannel receiving blankets that I use as flats*.  We also have 2 snappis (used instead of pins), a wet bag and a pail liner.  I have to say, I think a good old fashioned flat with a cover is my favorite of what we currently own. I have more leaks with the pocket diapers and haven't had any leaks with the covers+flats. I think most people prefer the convenience of a pocket dipe, or an All In One or All In Two* (AIO or AI2), but I really don't mind the folding involved with flats... so far :)

I'm seeing more and more that cloth diapering can be done on any budget!  All you need are some flats and covers and you're good to go!  And flats can be made from receiving blankets (like I've done) or even sheets, t-shirts, etc, or you can buy actual flats. A lot of people use flour sack towels that you can buy at Target or Walmart and they are about $1 a piece.  And as long as the cover isn't soiled, you can reuse it for a few changes.

Speaking of covers, I love our Thirsties cover, but I cannot seem to keep that thing on AJ's booty!  The first time she wore it, she had a big ol' poo after about 15 mins. So once it was washed, I wanted to use it again. But when I went to slide it under her, I didn't realize she had peed all over her changing table, and I stuck the cover right in the pee.  Luckily I love the other two as well :)  The Bummis cover is an extra large, and is really a little too big, but it still works great. Most everything I've gotten so far has the snaps and not aplix (velcro) because the velcro can wear quicker, but I did get two of the covers in aplix. I wanted to try them out, plus I wanted something a little less confusing for daddy and big sisters to use.  That way they don't have to worry about which snap settings to use. It is definitely very convenient!

Annabelle in her Blueberry cover


I guess that's it for now.  Let me know if you have any questions :)

*Confused by any of the terminology that I've used about cloth diapers?  Here is a great blog post that explains the meaning of many CDing terms. http://myclothdiaperstash.com/cloth-diaper-terms/

1 comment:

  1. hi can u give me detail comparison between alva n anan ?

    ReplyDelete